2017 5-Day Smoothie Challenge
- increase our daily consumption of raw veggies and fruits
- experiment and discover new flavor combinations that could enrich our diets.
IS THIS A JUICE FAST OR CLEANSE?
Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeck naw. This is just one smoothie each day for 5 days. I suggest having the smoothie as a snack, or in some cases, to replace a meal. In all, you should be following your regular healthy eating plan.
WHAT WILL I NEED?
- a few groceries (see below)
- a high-powered blender
It’s important that when you create smoothies that the texture is just that – smooth. While a cheaper blender may get the job done in the very short term, they break easily and dull fast so the flavor experience is compromised. Consider investing in a premium blender that comes with an extended warranty and that is proven to perform well over long periods of time. Remember – this is an investment in your health. I’ll be using the Vitamix Ascent A3500.
HOW TO PLAY
- Make the recipe.
- Take a picture of what you made.
- Share it on social media and Tag it #FMCSmoothie
- Review it. What you liked about it? And what you’d change in the future (if any)?
Here’s what you’re going to need to succeed this week:
- 1 bundle spinach
- 1 bundle kale
- 1 head lettuce
- 1 beet
- 1 large carrot
- 1 cucumber
- 3 bananas
- 1 mandarin orange
- 1 small red apple
- 1 small carton 2% cottage cheese
- 1 small carton unsweetened almond milk
- 1 cup 2% greek yogurt
- 1 avocado
- 1 small bag frozen strawberries
- 1 small package fresh chopped pineapple
- 1 small bag frozen blueberries
- small container/packet rolled oats
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- Optional Add-ons
- choice of unflavored or vanilla isolate whey protein powder
- 2 dates (or bottle of agave)
- 1 piece of turmeric
- 1 piece ginger
- matcha green tea powder
- cinnamon (powder)
Fresh vs Frozen fruit
When it comes to frozen vs fresh fruits, I enjoy frozen for smoothies because it eliminates the need to use ice which can water down the flavor of some smoothies. Plus, items such as berries tend to spoil quickly so having them in frozen form mitigates the risk of them going bad. But yes, you can always purchase fresh berries and then freeze them. Same for banana and avocado slices – they actually have a ice-cream like texture when blended from a frozen state so the smoothies are extra creamy and cold.
Each smoothie has 4 base ingredients with optional add-ons to boost flavor or nutrients such as protein powder or Greek yogurt.
On average the smoothie recipe makes about 16oz, maybe a little more, sometimes a little less. And these can be enjoyed as snacks, in between meals or post-workout treats.
GET THE SMOOTHIE RECIPES!