$75 Whole Foods Challenge Meal Plan
Recently I challenged myself to see if I could create a meal plan for the week and spend only $75 at one of the nation’s most premium-priced grocery stores, Whole Foods. To make it even more challenging, I had to use as many natural/fresh ingredients as possible AND have as much variety as possible.
Needless to say, it was challenging…but I made it work!
Check out my shopping adventure here on FMC vlogs:
I also included ideas on what I can do differently in order to further cut costs. Be sure to share your ideas so we can all learn together.
Here’s the grocery list of what I was able to purchase for $74.59:
- 2 dozen eggs
- 1 large carton low-sodium chicken broth
- 5 can whites albacore tuna
- 1 package Wasa crispbread
- Long grain basmati rice
- Instant Oatmeal
- 1 can lite coconut milk
- 3 lbs chicken thighs
- 2 lbs 93% lean ground turkey
- 2 bell peppers
- 1 package pre-cut celery
- 5 lb bag of red potatoes
- 2 bunches of broccoli
- fresh ginger root
- 1 medium red onion
- 3 haas avocados
- 5 bananas
With those ingredients I was able to create the following 4 meals:
Remember to ALWAYS adjust any recipe or meal plan to compliment your fitness and wellness goals. Also, remember the caloric benefit of adding a hi-quality protein shake to supplement any meal plan.
BREAKFAST: Scrambled Eggs + Oatmeal with Banana and Cinnamon
$75 Whole Foods Challenge Meal Plan
Approximate macros for 1 serving
Download the fitmencook app
Track your macros, plan your weekly meals, add recipes to your grocery list, as well as get access to over 300 healthy recipes by FitMenCook.
- Slice an avocado in half and carve the insides of one of the halves into a bowl. SAve the other cut portion in an airtight container in the fridge.
- Mash the ripe avocado with a fork. Drain the tuna and then add the tuna to the bowl with mashed avocado.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix it together thoroughly.
- Enjoy with crispbread or raw vegetables.
- Set the oven to 410F.
- Cook basmati rice according to the instructions given and set aside once cooked.
- Season the ground turkey with cumin, sea salt, pepper and garam masala. Thoroughly massage the meat with the seasonings to ensure it is well integrated. Then, form meatballs about the size of golf balls and place them on a nonstick baking sheet.
- Bake the meatballs in the oven for about 15-20 minutes.
- While the meatballs are baking, set a nonstick skillet on medium-high heat and add olive oil. When the skillet is hot, toss in garlic, ginger and red onion. Cook the onions until they turn brown and are somewhat translucent, then toss in the thinly sliced red bell peppers and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Then add the seasonings to the skillet and stir quickly with a spatula for about 2 minutes.
- Pour in the chicken broth and coconut milk and stir for another 2 minutes. When the sauce comes to a boil, reduce the heat to medium and then add the freshly cooked meatballs. Allow the meatballs to simmer in the sauce for about 5 minutes.
- Enjoy the meatballs and sauce with fragrant basmati rice.
- Set the grill or oven to 350F.
- Wash the dirt from the red potatoes and place them on a baking sheet. Spray them with a little olive oil and add a few pinches of sea salt and pepper. Bake the potatoes in the oven for about 45 minutes to 1 hour, until the potatoes can be easily pierced with a fork or sharp knife.
- Carefully trim the fat from the chicken thighs as much as possible. Use food scissors if it is easier so that you can preserve as much of the protein as possible. Once the fat is trimmed off, then season the chicken thighs.
- Place the chicken thighs on a grill, or on a baking sheet if you are using an oven, and bake for about 15 to 20 minutes, ensuring that the juice from the chicken is running clear.
- While the chicken is cooking on the grill or in the oven, roast the broccoli along side! Simply spray it with a little olive oil and add a few pinches of sea salt & pepper. Roast the broccoli in the grill or in the oven for about 20 minutes.
- Allow the potatoes to cool down slightly before handling. Once they are cool enough to handle, slice them down the middle and add them to a high powered blender. I used the Vitamix 750 Professional Series. Add the olive oil, seasoning and chicken broth and blend until it nice and smooth. If needed, add a few more tablespoons of chicken broth to make it nice and creamy.
- Season to taste with sea salt & pepper.
- Prepare your meal of chicken thighs, whipped red potatoes and broccoli.