Healthy Breakfast Hash
Breakfast hash is one of my favorite meals because of its versatility and the variety it lends your diet.
Toss in a few veggies here and there – and make sure you have at least 3 different colors – and in a matter of minutes you have a delicious and nutritious meal.
One thing I learned from a recent trip to Salzburg, Austria for the Red Bull X-Alps adventure race, is the growing trend for elite endurance athletes to follow a more fat adapted diet.
Essentially, it’s a diet higher in fat, based on the premise and studies that fat is a better source of long term energy for aerobic exercise. The energy from carbohydrates tends to be used up faster in longer term sessions of aerobic activity and often times you end up hitting a wall or feeling fatigued once that energy runs out.
Even with a fat adapted diet you can still add some carbohydrates to your diet, usually before or after a big competition or training session in order to give the body some muscle energy for performance purposes.
The following is a meal that is geared toward those following a higher fat diet for endurance, weight loss or weight gain. You can easily tweak the ingredients to make it more or less hearty, while still maintaining a common high fat meal ratio of 60% fat, 20% protein and 20% carbohydrates.
Remember to adjust the recipe to compliment your wellness and fitness needs.
HEALTHY BREAKFAST HASH RECIPE
Healthy Breakfast Hash
- Set a skillet on medium heat and add oil and butternut squash. Cook the squash for about 8 minutes or until the outside of the squash is brown and the chunks can easily be pierced with a fork.
- Add zucchini and cook for an additional 2 to 3 minutes. Then toss in bell pepper and chopped chicken sausage. Cook everything together for about 5 minutes.
- Make two holes in the skillet and crack 2 eggs into the holes. Cook until the clear part of the egg turns white, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Either plate the food or eat it directly out of the skillet (like a boss). Enjoy the meal with fresh avocado to boost the fat content and make the meal creamy so it’s easier to eat.
- Season to taste with sea salt & pepper and garnish with cilantro and green onion.
Approximate macros for 1 serving:
Download the fitmencook app
Track your macros, plan your weekly meals, add recipes to your grocery list, as well as get access to over 300 healthy recipes by FitMenCook.